Rescuers work 100 hours to save 85-foot sperm whale

In Ningbo, China, it took rescuers 32 hours to release the whale back into the water after it became restless. The sperm whale, which was 65 feet (9 meters) long, was trapped in the flat mud. and face death due to suffocation or dehydration
85-foot tall sperm whale rescued after 100-hour rescue mission

Local officials attempted to rescue with five boats, but the whale was too big to move. Volunteers doused whales with buckets of water as they waited for the tide to rise. Finally, at 10:00 p.m. local time, The water rose high enough for the tugboat to pull the whale deeper into the sea.


85-foot tall sperm whale rescued after 100-hour rescue mission

Sperm whales (Physeter macrocephalus) are deep-sea predators that prey on frigid waters more than a mile (1.6 kilometers) below the ocean’s surface. Heat is one of the greatest dangers to stranded sperm whales. Because the lymph retains heat within the body. And it leads to overheating if the whales are unable to get rid of the heat by other means. The elimination of body heat is achieved through the contact of water with the skin. Especially at thin structures such as flukes and flippers. and areas with a lot of blood vessels, such as the tongue

Stranding can happen for many reasons. In some cases, something is wrong with the whale that affects its ability to survive long term. Shortly after 43 sperm whales washed up off the Oregon coast in the early 1970s, another calf was found in the same area. which is struggling in shallow water The calf was taken to the marine aquarium to recover. But it died within a few days. An autopsy revealed that the calf had an intestinal dysentery. This is a condition that occurs when the bowel twists on its side. causes blood perfusion and shock

Beaching is difficult for sperm whales. and animals Usually do not survive even if rescued. However, the whales in Ningbo are adult males. which is likely to save the population as a whole Because adult male whales live alone This meant that the adult males in Ningbo were also stranded alone. This limits the damage to the population as a whole.

Rescuers in Ningbo were able to cut the whale rope at 5:30 a.m. local time on April 20, and the animal began swimming freely. Although the final fate of the whale is unknown. But helping is a noble endeavor and a testament to the dedication of the rescuers.

Leave a Comment